Saturday 5 October 2013

Brook Andrews - 52 Portraits and Bouncing Castles

52 Portraits photo by Robert Nelson


Inside Vox By Brook Andrews

Brook Andrew is a Melbourne based artist whose instillation uses a multitude of effects such as neon lighting, photography, mixed-media, performance and video.

his work aims to challenge cultural and historical preconceptions and he uses text and image to comment on local and global issues regarding race, consumerism and history.

His work 52 Portraits uses archival photography of native peoples from Australia, New Zealand and the Torres Straight lining the walls of the space and in the middle is a contraption reminiscent of an old gramophone called Vox (Latin for voice) On the bottom level it contains anthropological artifacts  such as literature and examples of early implements of from the 19th and early 20th century on the upper it houses a disconnected skeleton whose skull is placed facing outwards through a hole in the display cabinet towards the spout of the gramophone as if it were about to make some pronouncement.



Brook brings his cultural ancestry along with him when he creates art. This is something that is also important to me when I'm making something and is the whole point behind my final piece.
It made me think about how I was going about my own pieces and how I could streamline the main idea behind the work as well as make other comments within my piece with item selection that would have their own point which would add the the overall narrative without subtracting any of the ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment